ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES RECIPE
makes 1 dozen
for the scones
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (very cold & cubed)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, shift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt.
- Cut your chilled butter into little pieces and toss them into the flour.
- Using your hands work the butter into the flour mixture, making sure that each piece of butter is coated with flour. It should resemble course sand if done right.
*at any time you feel like your hands are too hot and you’re melting the butter, pop it into the fridge for 5 mins.
- Add the dried cranberries & fold them in, also making sure they are coated with flour.
- Make a well and pour in the heavy cream & orange juice. Continue to fold until it resembles a crumbly dough.
- Lightly flour your work surface and knead the dough a couple times till it comes together. DO NOT overwork the dough.
- Roll the dough out to 1in thick circle & cut out 9 scones with a 3in circle cutter. Lightly pat the dough back together & cut out two more. Roll the last bit into the 12th scone.
- Place scones 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg & 2 tbsp. of heavy cream together & brush over each scone.
- Bake for about 20mins or until the tops are golden brown.
- Serve with a sizzle of honey to amp it up!