Happy Monday everyone! I am trying to get back on schedule with everything because I'm finally getting that break I needed from Hodor (thanks An for watching him). This morning I wrote down a huge list of things to check off for this week, but I'm also trying to be okay with it if I don't get it all done. Doing that started to make me feel like I'm not useless anymore, which is great when you are deeply depressed. Feeling like a cluster brained bologna head for a long time doesn't do anyone any good, so I'm starting off this Monday with a bright little loaf. Like I said before, I'm a lemon lover, and this right here, it hits the spot. Add on those little speckles of crunchy goodness and you got yourself a keeper. I wanted more of a cake like texture with this loaf because who doesn't want a slice of cake in the AM??? Amiright?! I also like to pack a punch when it comes to the lemon flavor so feel free to use 2 tbsp. of lemon zest instead of 3 if you want to tone it down a tad.
Some other good news today, I'm actually in the market for another car! Used. Preferably a Subaru Outback. An and I have been sharing a car for a quite some time now, and though we love the car and don't mind sharing, it is a hassle now that we aren't living under the same roof & have a huge 50lb dog. It's about time to look into getting an SUV, so I will be heading to a dealership later this evening to go check out a couple of listings. Really hoping that it'll be done and over with in a day because as exciting as getting a car is, the process sucks big time. And I know you know what I'm talking about! Enjoy the recipe and the photos, I'm still learning to use the DSLR so don't go too hard on me!!! XOXO
LEMON POPPYSEED LOAF RECIPE
makes 1 loaf
for the loaf
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. lemon zest
- 3 eggs (room temp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. poppyseeds
for the glaze
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- the juice of one lemon (give or take depending on desired consistency)
for the loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar, & lemon zest till light and fluffy.
- Add in one egg at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every time.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, vanilla extract, & lemon juice.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt &n poppyseeds together.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture & beat till just incorporated.
- Add in all the buttermilk mixture and beat till just incorporated.
- Fold in the rest of the flour mixture into the batter & pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for ~1hr or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 mins before inverting and cooling completely on a wire rack.
for the glaze
- In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and salt.
- Pour in half of the lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Continue adding lemon juice & whisking till your desired consistency and there are no lumps left.
- Pour the glaze over the loaf in two batches, letting it dry in between pours.
- Slice and serve!