FRENCH STRAWBERRY CAKE RECIPE
makes (1) 9in round cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- Whip butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan and slice and serve the cake from the pan.