CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
makes (3) 6in round cakes or (2) 8in round cakes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups good cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (room temp)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee or hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour cake pans & line with parchment paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT the hot water and whisk to combine.
- Carefully pour in hot water while mixing slowly till incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula if necessary.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pan for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.