BACON & JALAPEÑO SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE
makes: (1) 9x13" pan
- ~3 lbs russet potatoes (4-5 potatoes) - peeled and thinly sliced (soak in water while you prep so it doesn't brown)
- ~10 pieces bacon - cooked & diced
- 2 jalapeños - finely diced (no seeds = mild, one w/seeds = medium, both w/seeds = spicy)
- 2 leeks (white and light green part only) -thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp salt & black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic -minced
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups of half & half
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese -shredded (additional 1/4 cup for top)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese -shredded (additional 1/4 cup for top)
- 1 tbsp parsley -chopped (can sub for dried)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Coat a 9x13’’ pan with olive oil and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a sauce pan over medium heat until crispy (~13 minutes). Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Leave ~2tbsp of bacon grease in pan.
- Add the jalapeños, leeks, salt and pepper into the same pan on medium heat and sauté until leeks have softened (~4 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (~1 minute).
- Add in the heavy cream and half-and-half and bring to a simmer, then immediately remove from heat and add in both cheese.
- Stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Stir in the bacon.
- Put the potatoes in the cheese sauce and gently toss to thoroughly coat (may take a few times).
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to the greased pan (this will help keep some of the cheese sauce in the pan) and top it off with the remaining sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1hr & 10mins.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cheese and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley.
- Let it sit for 5 mins before serving (will be bubbly when you take it out).