Happy hump day my friend, we are almost to the weekend. I’m particularly looking forward to it this week. The past month has been quite a rough transition for me and I’m sure it was for you as well. This quarantine was really getting to me. I felt like I was being swallowed by the virus and it was taking away the very sense of my being. Many of the things we all enjoyed were stripped from us and every person deals with that differently. My anxiety was extremely heightened and whenever I was out, breathing became difficult & coming home felt suffocating. I got some release being able to see my therapist a little more frequently and finding a rhythm to deal with my fears during this odd time. I hope that if you are feeling lonely and isolated or filled with anxiety and fear that you remember this too shall pass. That if you ever need an ear, you can always reach out to me.
Now, I’m a bit excited this weekend because I’ve been thinking about baking a bunch of goodies for my family & dropping them off at their door steps. Something sweet for everyone to look forward to. I know it helps me to know I have a delicious bag of cookies waiting for me once work is over or a nice slice of cake to enjoy after dinner. I just want to bring some light into everyone’s day. It’s really about doing the little things during times like these. Making those calls to friends and telling them you miss them. Waving or saying hi to a stranger when you’re practicing social distancing at the grocery store. It makes us all feel more connected and as one, we will get through it. Sending you all so much positivity, love and light. And of course if you have these ingredients in your pantry, this SUPER MOIST cake will knock your socks off. As always, don’t skimp on that tangy lemony creamy cheesy frosting!
CARROT ZUCCHINI CAKE RECIPE
makes 9 servings
for the cake
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrots
for the frosting
- 6oz. cream cheese (room temp.)
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter (room temp.)
- Zest of one small lemon
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
for the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter & flour a 9×9″ pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs & vanilla extract.
- Sift in all other ingredients except for carrots and zucchini, then whisk till just combined.
- Using a couple paper towels, squeeze some of the water out of the veggies then add them to the batter, folding to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack before frosting & decorating.
for the frosting
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter till light and fluffy.
- Add lemon zest, juice & salt then beat to combine.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat till all is incorporated.
- Frost onto cooled cake, slice & serve.