First off, I want to apologize for my delays with posting recipes. Sometimes I get into a rhythm in the kitchen and it gets hard for me to stop creating. Also, I’ve been needing to clean out the fridge pretty badly haha! I over stock on fruits in season for some reason, maybe because I fear that I won’t be able to get anymore… do you ever do that??? Anywho, I have also been wanting to share more about my pregnancy, but time just continues to slip away.
With it being my first pregnancy, it hasn’t been easy. So many women make it look effortless all the while being joyful and happy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than excited to meet our little girl, and I already love her so very much, but being pregnant is a whole ‘nother story. I’ve had a couple complications and need more attention from the doctors than most. I was told by nurses that “at least when I have my second or third one, I won’t be as shocked as other women who has had it good”. That only shows how much shock I’m still in! I never thought I would be dealing with the issues I’m dealing with now on top of feeling like my body isn’t mine anymore.
Every body carries differently, I understand that. But man am I a big ol’ jelly bean of those who have a belly-only pregnancy. My entire body has changed to the point where I can’t recognize myself in the mirror. When I pass by store windows or mirrors while I’m out, I turn away in shame because I haven’t been able to love what I’ve become. I’ve had a face rash that hasn’t gone away since my first trimester and I’m still not feeling myself at all. I know I should love myself and treat myself kindly because at the end of the day, it is temporary, but let me just tell you, it is damn hard when you’re in it. I don’t even think I have full body pictures of being dressed up and out and about other than at my gender reveal. I am working on it though, and hopefully will be able to get a couple maternity photos in so I don’t regret not taking them later on. Don’t even get me started on the guilt I feel about not loving my pregnancy, it’s truly one of the worst, but I’m here to tell myself and you that it is alright. It is okay to not be filled to the top with joy and be exhilarated about it 24/7. That doesn’t mean you don’t love your child, and it does not mean you don’t want to give them the world. Your pregnancy is not you, don’t forget that.
Now, some of the things I didn’t know existed. This is mostly for me to look back at so I don’t forget what it was like! And maybe for baby when she’s old enough to have her own, so she can understand what it can possibly be like. We all know we gain weight, but I did not know that meant my arms, hips, thighs, and feet would be growing SO MUCH. My hips are widening in preparation to give birth, my thighs have grown what feels like double the size (I’m starting to chafe where they’ve never touched before), and my shoes don’t fit because the hormone relaxin has made my ligaments all kinds of loosey goosey & my feet have grown an extra size! They also don’t tell you that it is hard to go number 2 (aka you can get hemorrhoids), your boobs may start leaking before baby is even here (aka wet bras and shirts if you don’t have nursing pads), you need to drink A LOT of water even though you’re starting to need to pee every 30 mins (aka every 5 mins when you have a small bladder), and don’t forget all the supplements and vitamins you’ll be needing to take on a daily basis (aka poppin’ pills all day long). Above that, there is a huge list of no-no foods or foods you can only have a bite of…which is SOOOOO SAD for a foodie like me. If you’re still reading thanks for sticking around, there’s lots more where it came from, but I think that’s enough for today.
Onto these summer jammy rolls. Easily the fluffiest rolls that have ever graced my mouth. They don’t need an introduction, they speak for themselves. Ripe strawberries layered on top of the jam, rolled & baked to perfection, then topped with a strawberry mascarpone cream cheese. My tummy is rumbling now, gotta go! Make these and don’t forget to tag me at #thebutterywhisk if you do so I can see them!
STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM ROLLS RECIPE
for the dough
- 1/2 cup of whole milk (warm)
- 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (browned)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups of AP flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (warmed)
for the strawberry filling
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1lb strawberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- ~12 fresh strawberries (sliced thinly)
for the frosting
- 2 oz. cream cheese (room temp)
- 2oz. mascarpone (room temp)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp strawberry jam
for the dough
- In a bowl connected to a stand mixer, pour in the warmed milk, yeast, and a sprinkle of sugar. Let it sit for 10 mins till bubbles form. If there’s no reaction, start over, this means your yeast is dead.
- Once the yeast is bubbly and foamy, add the rest of the sugar, salt, egg & browned butter & mix to combine.
- Change to a dough hook & add the flour. Mix on low for 3-5 mins or until a dough forms and it all comes together.
- Turn the speed up to medium & mix for another 5 mins until the dough is soft, smooth and not too sticky. If it is, add in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. The dough should not stick to the sides of the bowl too much.
- Transfer the dough to a well oiled bowl, cover it with a wet towel & set it in a draft free area to rise till double in size for about 45 mins to 1 hour. I leave mine in the oven turned off.
*meanwhile you can make the strawberry jam if you’re making your own, otherwise proceed.
- Preheat oven to the lowest setting & turn it off.
- Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a lightly floured work surface & roll out the dough into a 9×20″ rectangle.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the dough & lay the sliced strawberries all over.
- Roll the dough like you would a cinnamon roll, making sure it’s tight. It maybe be a bit difficult because the dough is soft and the jam is slippery, but do the best you can!
- Take a piece of floss, slide it under the roll, cross it and pull through to cut it into 6 individual pieces.
- Transfer the rolls to a baking tray, cover it with a wet towel and place into the warm oven for 30 mins till the rolls have proofed for the second time.
- Take the rolls out & preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the warmed heavy cream over the rolls & bake for ~20 mins or until the tops start turning golden brown.
for the strawberry filling
- If you are making the strawberry jam, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook it on low heat till strawberries softens, stirring often. Smash the berries with a fork & continue cooking on medium heat till the liquid is at a boil and starts to thicken. If you have a candy thermometer, it should reach 220°F before taking it off the heat.
- You can store the jam in a sterilized jar or transfer to a bowl to cool if using immediately. The texture will be closer to jam after being refrigerated overnight.
for the frosting
- Mix the cream cheese and mascarpone with a hand held mixer till fluffy, add the powdered sugar & beat to combined.
- Stir in the strawberry jam & spread over warm strawberry rolls. Enjoy!