How is your summer treating you? Hopefully well! As always it’s been so crazy here on my end. Juggling pregnancy, doctor visits, work, family & time for myself and friends is one heck of a job. Adulting is HARD. No one tells you that when you’re 5 wanting to be a grown up SOOO BADLY. Totally wishing I was on summer vaca like the kiddos. Although the break is coming to an end, it feels as if summer just started a couple weeks ago. The heat really picked up last month & all I can think about are BBQ’s, bonfires, and lots and lots of S’MORES! (oh I can’t forget the AC haha). I decided to create this cookie recipe for those times you want to stay in but crave those nostalgic s’mores flavors. Ghirardelli sent me some chocolates to kick off the s’mores season, and I think these are just perfect. And of course all opinions expressed are my own! The milk chocolate caramel squares reminds me exactly of a s’more, but I’m a dark chocolate lover, so if you are too I’d go for that one instead. Either way you can’t go wrong. The extra caramel on the insides really takes it up a few notches!
for the cookie dough
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
*optional: 1/2 cup finely crushed graham cracker
for the filling
- 4.oz of marshmallow fluff
for the topping
- Maldon sea salt
- Ghirardelli Dark or Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and shortening till light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, egg and egg yolks and beat till just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & mix till just incorporated. It’s okay if you see flour streaking through.
- Place dough to chill in the fridge for at least 2hrs. or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 360°F & line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of chilled cookie dough & flatten it with the palm of your hand to create space for the filling.
- Scoop a heaping teaspoon of marshmallow fluff into the center of the cookie dough & fold the sides inwards as to incase the filling.
*at this point you can roll the cookie in extra graham crackers before placing on the baking sheet or proceed without doing so.
- Place each cookie at least 2 inches away from each other as they do spread quite a lot.
- Bake for ~13 mins flipping & adding sea salt halfway through. Cookies should be soft, golden brown & a bit puffed up. If they look a little under, bake them for a couple more minutes.
- Once the cookies are out, place a Ghirardelli chocolate square in the center and press down slightly.
- Let the cookies cool completely before taking them off the sheets.
*optional: I used a mini blowtorch to brown the marshmallow fluff for that nostalgic “burnt” s’mores flavor.