Are you guys over lemons yet? Cause I’m not! I’ve been extremely busy this past week and haven’t had the chance to upload any of the recipes I’ve worked on the week prior, but here is one of them. CLASSIC LEMON BARS. Just look at them… they have the perfect crackly top (what I love about these bars.. and brownies), the filling is gooey, oh so lemony & tart, and the crust is a simple and basic shortcrust dough baked to perfection. Who can turn down a plate full of these?? I know I can’t. The sight of these just screams spring to me and since my neighbor’s tree is still producing lemons, I couldn’t resist. They’re a lovely picnic dessert and can even be doubled to bring to a potluck!
Also, Easter passed last Sunday so I hope you all had a wonderful time with your family and loved ones. I spent the day relaxing after getting lunch with An’s family. It was nice to not cook for once so I could just enjoy my company (even though I LOVE hosting). ALSOOO, I know you are all probably wondering what happened to yesterday’s mindful Monday post. Well, remember that big news that I can’t share yet? It has to do with that, so I’m sorry! Hang in there and you’ll be in on the secret very soon!
This past week has been a huge rollercoaster and I’ve been getting a lot of anxiety thinking about the future. Too many what ifs have been plaguing my mind and I’ve become a big ball of stress. Sleep has been difficult and so has eating. Going forward this week I aim to remember to take care of my basic needs first because that is what matters most before thinking about all the other things in life. Without a healthy body and mind, we cannot be functional human beings. But even typing this out sounds silly because I know it is a lot easier said than done, hence the key word is TRY. If you are feeling the same or even a tad bit like me, I encourage you to keep this in the back of your mind. When you feel anxious or worried, know that taking care of yourself, listening to what your body needs is the best thing you can do. Even if it means you need to lay in bed all day, just make sure you still eat and drink plenty of water. Sending you all love and hugs!
CLASSIC LEMON BARS RECIPE
for the crust
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 AP flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
for the filling
- 3 eggs (room temp)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup AP flour
for the crust
- Line an 8×8 inch brownie pan with parchment paper, making sure it hangs over the sides.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer till light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and salt till just combined.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared pan & press it down evenly with the bottom of a glass to form the crust.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 10 mins to chill & preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Once chilled & preheated, bake the crust for 25 mins or until the top is lightly golden brown.
- While it is baking, prepare the filling.
for the filling
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and lemon zest.
- Add eggs and whisk till combined.
- Add the lemon juice & whisk to combine.
- Sift in the flour & whisk till evenly mixed, then set aside till the crust is done baking.
- Once the crust is out, pour the filling on top & bake for another 40 mins till the filling is set.
- Cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving. I prefer to chill mine in the fridge overnight after it has come to room temp for the flavors to meld before devouring.
*Optional: dust the lemon bars with powdered sugar and a little slice of lemon for decoration.