How are we a week into December already? I’ve been super duper busy in-between places, and most of my stuff is packed up in bags waiting to be unpacked. Nonetheless, I HAD to bake. I couldn’t stand another day not joining in on all this fun! Believe me when I say these cookies are probably the BEST soft gingerbread cookies & are worth making (I literally had to look through ALL my bags to find my baking needs…totally worth it). They’re light, fluffy & oh so soft with just the right amount of kick. Not to mention they make your house smell like Christmas, which is a huge plus (for me at least, cause Hodor’s farts are hella stanky *high protein food). And speaking of Hodor, a bunch of you keep asking for pictures of my baked goodies with him in it. Let me start by saying, he’s a puppy. AND PUPPIES ARE CRAZY! It’s extremely hard to get a good photo of him alone, and now I gotta make him pose… in front of goodies…he can’t have! Boy oh boy was it a difficult task, but again I did it, and I hope these don’t disappoint. Luckily I’ve trained him pretty well to not eat “human” food, but I can’t seem to do much about his craziness. Hopefully he’ll calm down soon. That’s really all I want for Christmas this year hahaha, jk. Hope you are all enjoying the cooler weather & spending lots of time with your loved ones.
A little update on my grandma. She’s heading into her last days. The cancer has spread to the point where there isn’t anything anyone can do other than ease the pain. She hasn’t eaten a meal for over two weeks and can barely stomach tiny amounts of liquid. Though her mind and mental state is still 100% here, it has been extremely rough watching her suffer. She doesn’t have the energy to hold up a conversation, nor does she want to talk about anything anymore. It’s hard to admit this, but it already feels like I’ve lost her. This week has been a whirlwind of emotions and crying seems to have become a part of my daily routine. But I promised myself I will let myself grieve this time around and deal with it the right way. I’ll also be spending as much time as I can with her until I can’t, so it might be a bit more quiet on the blog for a little while. Death is always such a huge reminder to set priorities straight & to always, always, always tell the people around you how much you love them. Wishing you all warm, cozy, loving vibes the rest of this year.
SOFT & SPICY GINGERBREAD COOKIE RECIPES
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 cup white sugar + 1/4 cup for rolling
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt & set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg until just combined.
- Add the molasses and beat to incorporate.
- Mix in the sifted ingredients gradually until just combined.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll them into balls with the palms of your hand.
- Roll each cookie dough ball in the extra 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for ~12 mins, or until the tops have cracked a bit.
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.