Hi from Phuket!!!! It’s our second day, and to be brutally honest, I’m not liking it too much 🙁 severely missing Chiang Mai. Last night we hit up the famous Bangla Road, and it was insane. People don’t stop trying to hustle you for your money. It was definitely not what I was expecting. They wouldn’t stop trying to get us into shows & to buy drinks…. not really my type of scene. Anyways, we had a good time today kayaking in Phang Nga Bay (technically we had a kayak-er & didn’t need to kayak ? so it was wonderful). If you ever decide to visit, this one is worth it. They take you into a couple caves which are absolutely STUNNING, peaceful & breath taking. We also had Thai meals prepared by chefs on the boat, which felt more authentic than the touristy spots around Patong (the area we are staying at). Enough about my vacation, let’s get to these “bars”.
Once every couple months, I get an email from Rebecca Bloom asking to join the recipe collaboration for the coming season. Pretty much a bunch of us bakers create a recipe using the showcase ingredient. At first when I saw that cranberries were the highlight, I shut down. I can’t really seem to find fresh cranberries around my area, even around this time of year. Most are canned, dried, or already made into cranberry sauce. So that left me with only a couple choices & I went with dried cranberries. You ask why? Well, I like them in a couple things, especially in my trail mixes & oatmeal. Now, I know Christmas & Thanksgiving are right around the bend, but I wanted to create something lighter and brighter for those gloomy/rainy days. These bars are a burst of brightness (if that even makes any sense). The lemon comes through soooo well & the tart cranberries with the creaminess of the sour cream is just mouth watering. Please make these & tag #yesyoucranberry & @thebutterywhisk so everyone & I can see your cranberry creations!!! Btw you can make these into squares as well!
CRANBERRY LEMON OATMEAL BARS RECIPE
for the crust
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lemon (juiced)
for the filling
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 large egg white (lightly beaten)
for the filling
- In a bowl, combine everything except cranberries & mix till smooth.
- Fold in the cranberries & set aside.
for the crust
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a 8×8 in pan with parchment paper & set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except butter & lemon juice, and stir to evenly distribute.
- Add the melted butter & lemon juice.
- Using your hands, incorporate the butter & juice till a moist crumbly mixture forms.
- Press all but 1/2 cup of the oat mixture to the booth of the prepared pan.
- Pour in the cranberry mixture & spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of the oat mixture on top. (Optional: sprinkle a couple cranberries on top of the oats).
- Bake for 35-40mins.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan before slicing.