We all know that orange and cranberry goes well together, but did you know that it tastes phenomenal in scone form??? These babies right here are so buttery and flakey, you might as well call it a biscuit. Top it off with a drizzle of orange blossom honey and I’m in heaven. I’ll have a dozen please. Do yourself a big favor and make some of these for breakfast, lunch & dinner. YEAH it’s THAT good that you can sub it in for all your meals. Jk don’t do that, you’ll probably get fat and blame me LOL. These would be great for gatherings and would most definitely please a crowd… hint, hint Thanksgiving is coming up (save the recipe!). Forget the dinner rolls and make some scones. You’ll be surprised when they’re all gone & people are coming back for more.
ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES RECIPE
for the scones
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (very cold & cubed)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, shift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt.
- Cut your chilled butter into little pieces and toss them into the flour.
- Using your hands work the butter into the flour mixture, making sure that each piece of butter is coated with flour. It should resemble course sand if done right.
*at any time you feel like your hands are too hot and you’re melting the butter, pop it into the fridge for 5 mins.
- Add the dried cranberries & fold them in, also making sure they are coated with flour.
- Make a well and pour in the heavy cream & orange juice. Continue to fold until it resembles a crumbly dough.
- Lightly flour your work surface and knead the dough a couple times till it comes together. DO NOT overwork the dough.
- Roll the dough out to 1in thick circle & cut out 9 scones with a 3in circle cutter. Lightly pat the dough back together & cut out two more. Roll the last bit into the 12th scone.
- Place scones 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg & 2 tbsp. of heavy cream together & brush over each scone.
- Bake for about 20mins or until the tops are golden brown.
- Serve with a sizzle of honey to amp it up!