It’s been a little slow here lately because I noticed that staring at screens all day long tends to give me a migraine. Also, I was feeling slightly stresses out and needed to do a bit of unwinding. Take more care of myself if you will. Although I’m resting my eyes, my brain is still thinking up goodies for you all. All the ideas in my head need to get out NOW, so be prepared for a bunch of new recipes coming up!
Today I’m sharing a very healthy, but delicious protein bar. The first thing An said after eating it was “mmm I like how fudgey it is”. To be quite honest, I’m not a fan of protein powdered stuff, whether it’s protein shakes, bars, brownies, pancakes, you name it. For some odd reason, I find the smell of protein powder revolting… I don’t know why that is, but that’s just how my mind and body reacts. Anyone else feel me on that??? Nevertheless, I decided to tackle this powder to see what I could come up with.
On another note, as a kid, I HATED peanut butter. And yes I know hate is a strong word, but damn I was so darn sick of it. It wasn’t my mom’s fault because I felt like I needed “baggie lunches” like all the other kids instead of having my weird Asian food for lunch. BUT I had peanut butter jelly sandwiches EVERY SINGLE DAY. Needless to say, I wouldn’t touch that sticky brown stuff till only a couple years back. And that was only because it was from Whole Foods. Their freshly ground honey roasted peanut butter…. OH GOD. It’s heaven in a jar. Ever since, I’ve eaten my fair share of PB.
Now why combine two things that I “don’t” like you ask? Well my logic is that two negatives make a positive, so there’s your answer… haha I’m playing. I now like peanut butter, and chocolate is pretty much my lover, so BAM! why not try to make protein powder not taste so bad to me. An has had tons of protein foods, and really likes these, so that must say something. Also, I had a bite, and if I had to eat one, I wouldn’t mind it either. It’s not as chewy and chalky as the ones you purchase at the stores. It’s more like a melt in your mouth, fudgey texture, so if you like that, these are for you. Also, checkout that drizzle! I could use double the drizzle, but hey, we’re trying to keep it healthy here today 😉
OOOH and if you get the protein powder from Suncore Foods, it contains turmeric, which has a ton of health benifits! A++++
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE PROTEIN BARS RECIPE
- 3/4 cups chocolate turmeric protein powder (I used 2 packs of Suncore Foods protein powder)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp. raw honey
- 3/4 cup protein nut milk
- 2 cups oats (not quick)
- 5oz. dark chocolate (melted)
- Sea salt flakes *optional
- Line an 8×8 in pan with parchment paper.
- Place peanut butter, honey & milk in a sauce pan and heat on low.
- Stir till it begins to melt & add in protein powder.
- Mix till a dough begins to form, then add in oats.
- Continue folding in the oats till the mixture is heated all the way through.
- Transfer to prepared pan & smooth it out.
- Place in the freezer for at least an hour to firm up & set.
- Take it out & cut into 8 bars.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Store in an airtight container & keep frozen up to 1 week.