HAPPY FRIYAAAAY! It has been hectic over here the past month and I still feel super swamped, but I have to remind myself to take a break and rest up every so often. Self care & love is the best kind of love and I believe it is absolutely essential to our mental and physical health. Although it’s been go, go, go over here, I took the time to pull this soup recipe together for you all. Plus, it’s great being able to unwind with a bowl of this. It’s my favorite hearty soup and EVERYTIME I make it, and I mean every single time… I always get asked for the recipe or get asked to make it again reeeaaaal soon. I was first introduced to this soup years back at Olive Garden (chain restaurant if ya don’t know what it is!). My mom always craved it, and then I started to crave it, and low behold, I had to try to remake it haha! And I must say, it’s now better than the one they serve by ten folds 😏 I hope you guys like it, and feel free to ask anything if I wasn’t clear enough! Enjoy lovely people. OHHHHH and if you have leftovers, it tastes even better the next day, so be prepared for a yummy soupy breakfast! 💕
BETTER THAN OLIVE GARDEN’S ZUPPA TOSCANA SOUP RECIPE
- 2 bunch of kale
- 1/2 lb of hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 cans of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of water
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tsp salt & pepper
- 7 pieces of bacon cooked till crispy & chopped into bits
- Parmesan freshly shaved *optional
- Wash kale & remove leaves from stem. Chop kale into 1-2inch pieces & set aside.
- Dice white onions & set aside.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly & cut. First length wise, then again (you should have 4 long strips). Now cut horizontally to make 1 inch chunks. Set in a bowl of water till you’re ready to cook so they don’t brown.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add olive oil & onions. Cook for 5mins stirring to make sure they don’t stick & burn, then reduce the heat a tad.
- Add the sausage & red pepper flakes (if using), consistently stirring to break up the sausage into bits. Cook for 5 mins or until sausages start browning.
- Turn the heat up to medium & add the chicken broth & water.
- Drain your potatoes & carefully put them in.
- Bring the soup to a boil & turn the heat to low & simmer for 35 mins or till the potatoes are soft, but not “melting”.
- Add the heavy cream & bring it to a boil.
- Taste & add extra salt & pepper to taste.
- If serving immediately, add kale & cook for 4 mins. If preparing ahead of time, 15 mins before serving, heat up the soup & bring to a boil. Add the kale & cook for 4 mins.
- Serve with bacon bits & parmesan cheese.
“Solitude is where I place my chaos to rest & awaken my inner peace.” -Nikki Rowe