Did you guys watch the season finale of Game of Thrones?! (no spoilers) BUUUT I absolutely love this show. My boyfriend and I watch it every Sunday night, and each episode has been so satisfying…especially the last two for this season! In case you didn’t know, An’s birthday was this past Wednesday and since he also loves GOT, I thought why not make him a GOT themed cake to celebrate. After a tough decision, he said his favorite cake of mine is chocolate (for now haha), so I kicked it up a notch and filled it with some oreo buttercream. If you have some free time, whip this baby up, sit back and binge this awesome show with a slice of cake… or a whole one, I won’t judge 😉
CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line two 8 inch pans with parchment paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients EXCEPT the hot water.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and mix till just combined.
- Carefully pour in hot water, and mix slowly till incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula if necessary.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for at least 10 mins before transferring to a rack to cool completely before frosting.
*I doubled the recipe for this specific cake and made it in three 9 inch pans (it was huge!).
OREO BUTTERCREAM RECIPE
- 4 sticks unsalted butter
- ~25 Oreos (filling separated)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Separate Oreo and fillings & crush the Oreo cookies (not too finely).
- Beat butter & Oreo filling in a large bowl till fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix till incorporated.
- Sift powdered sugar in two cups at a time.
- Fold in crushed Oreos.
- Frost cake as desired.
I made these characters with marshmallow fondant, which you can get my recipe and directions on how to make it here. I made the “blood” with a tinted white chocolate ganache and used a vanilla buttercream for the front & top piping work. If you can’t tell from the pictures above, An LOVED the cake 🙂 I think it came out great and had such a blast making it. The cake was moist and light, and the Oreo buttercream complimented it perfectly. I can’t wait for the next season of the show to come out though 🙁 another year…
“Winter is coming.” – George R.R. Martin